Classical Gingerbread Men inspired, these Ginger Snap Cookies have been trialled and tested (4 batches) to perfection.
The taste trick with these ones is the lemon zest for a lil' extra freshness kick. I also suggest using the highest quality butter (Pepesaya Cultured Butter, my fav) for a soft, but snap-able cookie texture. Yu-mmm!
This ones a great last min snack idea ;)
This recipe was originally created for Brenda Janschek.
serves 15-20 -- 15 mins prep + cook time
You will need: Baking paper lined oven tray, large mixing bowl, small mixing bowl, measuring cups + spoons, wooden spoon, mandolin, rolling pin, cookie cutters
- Preheat the oven to 180 degree. Line 2 trays with unbleached baking paper.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ground ginger, and salt.
- In separate bowl mix together the melted butter, coconut sugar, maple syrup, egg and lemon zest.
- Pour butter and sugar mixture over the flour and mix together to form a dough. If dough is too wet add a little more flour, if too dry add a little water.
- Dust some flour over a clean and dry bench top. Using a rolling pin, roll dough to 1 cm thick. Use a cookie cutter to cut out shapes of approx 15-20 cookies laying on pre-prepared baking paper.
- Bake for 5-7 minutes or until cookies become fragrant (watch em' they cook quickly, soft but snap-able texture is best).
2 cups spelt flour
1 tspn baking powder
1 tsp - 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
2 tbsp ground ginger for milder spice flavour, up to 4 tbsp for strong spice flavour
1/2 tspn sea salt
1/2 cup melted butter
¼ cup of coconut sugar
¼ cup of maple syrup
1 large egg, well beaten
1-2 lemons, zested
Share your cooking making fun with me in the comments below! Did your homemade Ginger Snap Cookies stand your family members approval?